- Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute
- Pro to the question "Should birth control pills be available over the counter?"
“If birth control pills are made available over the counter prices are likely to drop. That’s because oral contraceptives will be liberated from the third-party spending trap.
As is the case with doctor, hospital, and lab bills, the presence of a third-party payer results in higher prices for prescription drugs than would otherwise be the case if a pharmacy was dealing directly with the patient, not the third-party middleman…
Reclassifying birth control pills to over the counter can save women money in the long run. It also adds convenience, choice, and privacy. Medical science supports the move. The only remaining obstacles are political.”
“Why Aren’t Birth Control Pills Sold Over the Counter? They Should Be,” newsweek.com, Sep. 8, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to reproductive health issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to reproductive health.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Senior Fellow, Cato Institute
- Policy Scholar, Center for the Study of Science, Cato Institute
- Visiting Scholar, Goldwater Institute
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine, Midwestern University
- Adjunct Instructor, Program on Political History and Leadership, Arizona State University
- Principal and Founder, Valley Surgical Clinics, Ltd., 1986-present
- Advisory Board Member, Center for Political Thought and Leadership, Arizona State University, 2014-2018
- Contributor, AZ Medicine, Arizona Medical Association, 1994-2016
- Former Treasurer, US Health Freedom Coalition
- Former Instructor, Center for Political Thought and Leadership, Arizona State University Extension
- Former Adjunct Scholar, Reason Foundation
- Former Treasurer, Arizonans for Health Care Freedom
- Former Member, Committee on Legislative Affairs, Arizona Medical Association
- Former Editorial Advisory Board Member, AZ Medicine, Arizona Medical Association
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- MD, New York Medical College
- BA, City University of New York
- Twitter handle: @dr4liberty
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should birth control pills be available over the counter?